Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1st Days of Treatment... And Dr. Camilleri

So I got to Mayo on Sunday afternoon (only took a little of 5 hours straight driving) from home... Treatment started Monday AM... I was going to be working with Pat (physical / biofeedback therapist) 2 times a day for a week...



Since I don't really go into details with regards to the treatment, I'll just say that Pat was happy and encouraged by my dedication to the treatments and it was showing in our sessions... There were still some muscles we still need to continue to re-train and strengthen, but progress indeed... We have accelerated my treatments to a higher level now and things are getting better each session... I just need to continue to really push myself and remember what my focus is each time I'm working with Pat... I also had the opportunity this past Tuesday with Mark (occupational therapist)... We did some more relaxation and breathing biofeedback and then I actually got to play a driving game with a steering wheel and gas and brake pedals on the computer and have him monitor my levels of stress and breathing patterns... It really was an awesome exercise and so interesting to talk about these things and learn what the results really mean... Mark is great at explaining how to use these things in daily life and has helped me tremendously with learning to breathe and let things go that bother me... I am very appreciative that I had the chance to work with him again and for him to also see progress from our last sessions almost 4 weeks ago...



Each day after I've been done with my treatments, I've gone and tried to hit some golf balls and continue to work on my game... It's been a nice closing to each day of hard work... I found this waitress from last time I was here 4 weeks ago for the initial treatment at the best restaurant in Rochester (300 First) and the Redwood Room jazz club downstairs... So she has been taking care of me each night for dinner which has been great...



So I decided 2day that I was gonna go to Hazeltine Golf Course (PGA Championship) for the 2nd round of the tournament on Friday before I leave town... I have 1 treatment on Friday AM that will be done by 10:30am and then I'll drive up straight from there and be there by 12ish and go see the full afternoon session... TIGER tees off at 1:45pm so I'm planning to follow him most of the day as much as possible and then spend the night in Minneapolis and drive home Saturday... I wasn't able to see BWade, but may crash at his place Friday nite while he is in Indy for the 1st pre-season (so maybe I'll catch him at 2am when he gets home)... Then I'll drive home Saturday from Minneapolis...



Just talked to someone who really knows what Im going thru... They, too, are really really strong and have some health issues of their own... They took the time to read all 39 postings to date... I appreciate others who have taken the time to do the same... I admire this others strengths as much as they share their admiration for my strength as well... It's a truly tough thing to have empathy for people unless they are in similar situations and for that I'm grateful to have this person back in my life (since it's been a few years since we've seen each other or talked but recently re-connected)... Thanks for sharing and I'm here for you all the time...

Lastly, I met with Dr. Camilleri today to check-in and share my progress... We discussed what has happened over the past 4 weeks, and he was very ecstatic with the results so far... He credits those to my hard work and dedication to fighting thru this and getting control of the situation... I can't thank him enough for all he's done and his level of care (and thanks to his nurse Deb who is truly there for the patient at all times)... I'll finish strong these last 3 treatments here and then continue them for another 8 weeks 2 times / day and then from that point just a few times per week to continue to keep the muscles strong and trained properly... So dedication, focus and a desire will continue to prevail...

THanks to all who have been there 4 me... I get thru these days with that support in mind...

SHARK

P.S. I hope TIGER shoots a ridiculous course record on Friday... So pumped to see the master up front and center (then again at the BMW since Sammy G works for NBC and is gonna hook me up with good tix)... FORE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the updates, Shark. Have fun at the PGA, and say hi to Rocco Mediate for me. He's the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. Loving these updates. Been a while since we've had one to read.
    I saw you're going to be in Houston in mid-October. Let me know the schedule and i'll see if I can come down and meet you guys.
    Good luck and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete